02 Nov How Do I Clean My Blinds?
Most window treatments do not require frequent cleaning. A light dusting with a vacuum cleaner brush attachment on a regular basis will keep them looking new for year. However, there are those blinds that require my care with their cleaning.
Recommended Cleaning Methods
- Dusting. Regular light dusting maintains a like-new appearance of most blinds, shades, shadings and shutters.
- Vacuuming. For a deeper cleaning, vacuuming gently with a brush attachment. Most products may be vacuumed using a vertical stroke; however, do not use a brush attachment on sheer fabrics as it may snag the material.
- Compressed air or hair dryer (non-heat setting). Use to blow dust off selected window coverings.
- Spot-cleaning. You can spot-clean shades and blinds with a soft cloth or sponge moistened with lukewarm water. Add mild detergent if needed. Blot gently to avoid creasing or damaging the fabric. Rubbing can damage fabrics. Spot-cleaning may result in cleaner areas.
- Aluminum blinds. Use an over-the-counter blind cleaner with a soft cloth.
- Vinyl and aluminum vertical blinds. Reduce build-up of static electricity by applying a very thin film of detergent on all vanes or take a dryer sheet and rub on each slat.
- Bathtub cleaning/water immersion. This method of cleaning can be used on alternative (faux) wood blinds, aluminum blinds, and most, but not all, honeycomb shade fabrics.
- Immerse entire shade assembly (not headrail) in lukewarm water with mild detergent. Wash for five minutes by gently moving water around with your fingers. This type of cleaning is not recommended for blinds with cotton or decorative tapes.
- Rinse with clear water.
- Close shade before removing from rinse water.
- Hold rails and tilt the shade to allow excess water to drain off.
- Re-install damp shade into window opening.
- Lower shade all the way to allow it to dry completely.
- Ultrasonic cleaning. Professional ultrasonic cleaning can also be used on several window coverings, a various honeycomb shade fabrics, sheer shadings and roman shades. Be sure to check with your window covering expert to see if your window covering fabrics can be cleaned ultrasonically.
- Steaming. Steaming can be done to remove wrinkles from various fabrics. A hand-held travel size steamer that supplies continuous steam is best. Heavy-duty steamers are not recommended.
It is always a good idea to consult with the company you bought your window coverings from if you have any hesitation on what is the proper way of cleaning your window covering.